The farm, now part of Monocacy National Battlefield, was once part of a 748-acre plantation known as L'Hermitage. Established by the Vincendieres, a family of French planters from the Caribbean, 50 to 90 enslaved African-Americans worked this plantation in the 18th and 19th centuries. At least two of those slaves fled for freedom. The Best family began farming the property in the 1830s. One of their slaves escaped in 1850.