Weekend of cool jazz and soul — The Capital Jazz Fest at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia. Started in 1993, this multi-day, multi-stage outdoor music festival, which attracts music lovers from 44 states, is more than just a concert, it's an event! It's a place to people-watch, eat, drink, shop, mingle, relax, soak in the rays, and of course hear some of the coolest music performed by artists whom you won't see anywhere else in the Washington-Baltimore area this summer.
In-between musical sets, enjoy fine art and crafts at the Festival Marketplace, culinary treats at the food court, plus artist workshops and meet & greets. And after the show, check out the late night after-parties.
- The return of Capital Jazz Fest favorites like Kenny G, Ledisi, The Brand New Heavies, Brian Culbertson, and Rachelle Ferrell.
- Capital Jazz Fest debut performances by Patti Labelle, Basia, Laura Izibor, and R&B group Mint Condition.
- Special Capital Jazz Fest collaborations, including "G & Lee" featuring Lee Ritenour & Gerald Albright, British jazz/funk group Down to the Bone with special guest Hil St. Soul, plus Nick Colionne & Eric Darius.
- The return to the scene of several musical artists, including singer/pianist Patrice Rushen, "psychadelic soul" band The Family Stone, 70s fusion group The Jeff Lorber Fusion, and 80s funk band Cameo.
- First-time festival appearances by Raphael Saadiq, bassist-vocalist Esperanza Spalding, and a cappella group Naturally 7, among others.
- For the first time ever, Capital Jazz presents the Catch A Rising Star showcase, featuring up-and-coming artists from the world of contemporary jazz. Featured performers include Brian Simpson, B.K Jackson, U-Nam, Althea Rene, and others.
- Plus, on Friday night, a special evening of music and comedy featuring the legendary Gladys Knight and comedian Sinbad.